Arixtra Side Effects
Anemia, insomnia, and dizziness are some of the most common side effects of Arixtra. In most cases, side effects are minor and easily treated. However, it is possible to develop problems that may require immediate medical attention. Some of the potentially serious reactions include coughing up blood, blood in the urine, or unusual bruising.
An Introduction to Arixtra Side EffectsAs with any medicine, Arixtra® (fondaparinux sodium) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If reactions do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Arixtra. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects With ArixtraArixtra has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking Arixtra were documented and then compared to the side effects that occurred in a similar group of people taking heparin, low molecular weight heparin medications, or a placebo (an injection with no active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the groups taking the other anticoagulants or the placebo.
In these studies, common Arixtra side effects included:
- Anemia -- in up to 19.6 percent of people
- Insomnia -- up to 5 percent
- Postoperative wound infection -- up to 4.9 percent.
- Increased surgical wound drainage -- up to 4.5 percent
- Low blood potassium (hypokalemia) -- up to 4.2 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 3.6 percent
- Red or purple spots or blotches on the skin (purpura) -- up to 3.5 percent
- Low blood pressure (hypotension) -- up to 3.5 percent
- Major, serious bleeding -- up to 3.4 percent
- Confusion -- up to 3.1 percent
- Skin blisters -- up to 3.1 percent
- Minor, less serious bleeding -- up to 3.1 percent
- Bruising -- up to 2.8 percent.