Arixtra Warnings and Precautions
Contact your healthcare provider right away if you are taking Arixtra and experience symptoms such as easy bruising, vomiting of blood, or vision changes. This medication may not be safe for people with certain medical conditions, such as a bleeding disorder, high blood pressure, or an aneurysm. Other warnings and precautions with Arixtra apply to women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider Before Taking Arixtra?Talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Arixtra® (fondaparinux sodium) if you have:
- A bleeding disorder (not a clotting disorder)
- Intestinal or stomach ulcers or bleeding
- Bleeding in the brain
- An aneurysm
- A bacterial infection of the endocardium (the inner layer of the heart)
- Had a negative reaction to heparin
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure
- Had recent brain, eye, or spinal surgery
- High blood pressure
- Diabetic retinopathy (an eye condition)
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant.
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.