Deep Vein Thrombosis Prevention
Suggestions will also depend on whether you have had a clot before or if you are at risk for developing a deep vein clot but have never had one.
If you have had a deep vein clot, you will need to prevent further clots from developing by:
- Taking your medications to prevent or treat blood clots as prescribed by your doctor
- Following up with your doctor for medication changes and blood work.
If you have never had a deep vein clot, but you are in a situation that may increase your risk, be sure to:
- Exercise your lower leg muscles if you will be sitting still for long periods of time
- Get out of bed and move around as soon as you are able to after having surgery or being ill
- Take DVT medications to prevent clots after some types of surgery as directed by your doctor
- Follow up with your doctor.