Your healthcare provider will determine the proper dosage of Innohep based on your weight and other factors. The standard recommended dose is 175 IU per kg of body weight. The drug is injected each day into the fat layer just under the skin. If you are in the hospital, the injection is typically given by a healthcare provider. Once home, you or a caregiver may administer it.
An Introduction to Dosing With InnohepThe dose of Innohep® (tinzaparin sodium) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your weight
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The standard Innohep dosage for treating deep vein thrombosis (DVT) clots is based on weight. Specifically, the recommended amount is 175 IU per kg of body weight (approximately 80 IU per pound) once daily.
Innohep is only approved for use along with warfarin (Coumadin®, Jantoven®). It should be continued for at least six days and at least until blood tests show that the warfarin is working appropriately. Specifically, the International Normalized Ratio (INR), the test used to check how well warfarin is working, should be in the correct range for at least two days in a row before Innohep can be stopped.
General Information on Using InnohepConsiderations to keep in mind while using this medicine include the following:
- This medication is given as an injection just under the skin (subcutaneously) once a day.
- The injections are usually given in the fatty layer on the abdomen (the "stomach"), the upper thigh, or the upper area of a buttock.
- If you are in a hospital, a healthcare provider will probably administer the injection. However, you may be sent home with this medication, in which case you or a caregiver must administer the injections.
- Make sure your healthcare provider shows you exactly how to inject a dose of Innohep.
- Do not inject this medication into a muscle. Innohep should be injected into the fat layer under the skin.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be given as prescribed. You may be increasing your risk for serious problems if you stop using it too soon.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Innohep dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.