Severe headache and easy bruising are some of the symptoms of an overdose with Innohep (tinzaparin sodium). If you think you may have taken too much, seek medical attention right away, as an overdose can be quite serious. There is a drug that can mostly reverse Innohep's anticoagulant effects; treatment will also involve managing any symptoms that occur due to the overdose.
Can You Take Too Much Innohep?Innohep® (tinzaparin sodium) is a prescription anticoagulant medication. As with most medications, it is possible to take too much Innohep. As you might predict, an overdose with this medication increases the risk of dangerous bleeding.
Symptoms of an Innohep OverdoseIn cases of mild overdose with Innohep, it is possible that no symptoms will occur. Bleeding (including dangerous internal bleeding) is more likely to occur with large overdoses. Symptoms include but are not limited to:
- Easy bruising
- Cuts or scrapes that are slow to stop bleeding
- Black, tarry stools; bright-red blood in the stool; or vomiting of blood (signs of gastrointestinal bleeding)
- Signs of bleeding in the brain, such as vision or speech changes, weakness or numbness in an arm or leg, or a severe headache.
Treatment OptionsThe anticoagulant effects of Innohep can be largely (but not entirely) reversed by a medication known as protamine sulfate. Treatment with protamine must be undertaken with great care, however, as the drug may sometimes cause dangerously low blood pressure (hypotension) or life-threatening allergic reactions.
Of course, treatment for an Innohep overdose will also consist of treating any of the symptoms and problems that arise as the result of the overdose. This type of treatment must be individualized for each person, according to the particular situation.
It is important that you seek prompt medical attention if you believe you or someone else may have taken too much Innohep.