Lovenox used to be available only as a brand-name drug. However, generic versions are now being sold as well. The FDA has given generic Lovenox an "AP" rating, which means it is considered equivalent to the brand-name drug.
Can I Buy Generic Lovenox?Lovenox® (enoxaparin sodium) is a prescription medication used to treat and prevent blood clots. It is also approved to prevent various complications of certain heart-related "events" (such as heart attacks). Lovenox belongs to a group of medications known as low molecular weight heparins.
Brand-name Lovenox is made by sanofi-aventis U.S., LLC. However, there is also a generic version available.
Strengths of Generic LovenoxGeneric Lovenox is available in the following strengths:
- Enoxaparin sodium 30 mg prefilled syringes (0.3 mL)
- Enoxaparin sodium 40 mg prefilled syringes (0.4 mL)
- Enoxaparin sodium 60 mg prefilled syringes (0.6 mL)
- Enoxaparin sodium 80 mg prefilled syringes (0.8 mL)
- Enoxaparin sodium 100 mg prefilled syringes (1 mL)
- Enoxaparin sodium 120 mg prefilled syringes (0.8 mL)
- Enoxaparin sodium 150 mg prefilled syringes (1 mL).
Generic Lovenox is made by various manufacturers, such as:
- Amphastar Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Watson Pharma, Inc.
- Winthrop U.S.
Is Generic Enoxaparin as Good as Lovenox?All generic medications must undergo certain tests to compare them to brand-name medications. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) then looks at these tests to decide if the generics are equivalent to the brand-name medications and assigns a rating to each one.
An "AP" rating means that the FDA has determined that a generic medication is equivalent to a brand-name medication. Generic enoxaparin has an "AP" rating, which means it should be equivalent to Lovenox.
However, generic medications are allowed to have different inactive ingredients than the brand-name medication. This might include fillers, dyes, or other ingredients that may cause problems for people with allergies or sensitivities.