If a person takes too much Lovenox (enoxaparin), the effects can be quite dangerous, potentially increasing the risk of dangerous internal bleeding. Seek medical attention right away if you or someone else may have overdosed on Lovenox. Treatment may involve administering a medication to reverse the effects of Lovenox and providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Lovenox?Lovenox® (enoxaparin sodium) is a prescription anticoagulant medication. As with most medications, it is possible to take too much Lovenox. As you might predict, an overdose with this medication increases the risk of dangerous bleeding.
Symptoms of an OverdoseIn cases of mild overdose, it is possible that no symptoms may occur. Bleeding (including dangerous internal bleeding) is most likely to occur with large overdoses. Symptoms that may occur include but are not limited to:
- Easy bruising
- Cuts or scrapes that are slow to stop bleeding
- Black, tarry stools, bright-red blood in the stool, or vomiting of blood (signs of gastrointestinal bleeding)
- Signs of a bleeding in the brain, such as vision or speech changes, weakness or numbness in an arm or leg, or a severe headache.
Treatment for a Lovenox OverdoseThe anticoagulant effects of Lovenox can be largely (but not entirely) reversed by a medication known as protamine sulfate. Treatment may not be necessary (or advisable) if the overdose occurred 12 hours or more previously. Treatment with protamine must be undertaken with great care, as the drug may sometimes cause dangerously low blood pressure (hypotension) or life-threatening allergic reactions.
Of course, treatment for a Lovenox overdose will also consist of treating any of the symptoms and problems that arise as the result of the overdose. This type of treatment must be individualized for each patient, according to the particular situation.
It is important that you seek prompt medical attention if you believe you may have overdosed on this medication.