Blood Home > Ferriprox Dosage
The recommended starting Ferriprox dosage is usually 25 mg per kg taken three times daily. If necessary, this amount can be increased up to 33 mg per kg. The drug comes as a tablet and can be taken with or without food. Your healthcare provider will measure your response to this drug using blood tests to determine if your iron levels are decreasing.
An Introduction to Dosing With FerriproxThe dose of Ferriprox® (deferiprone) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your weight
- How you respond to the medication.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
What Is the Recommended Ferriprox Dosage?The starting dose of Ferriprox is 25 mg per kg (about 11.4 mg per lb) three times a day, rounded to the nearest half-tablet (the nearest 250 mg). Your healthcare provider may increase the amount as necessary, up to 33 mg per kg (15 mg per lb) three times a day. Your response to the medication will usually be measured based on the iron levels in your blood, which should decrease gradually.
If you respond very well to Ferriprox (your iron levels drop quite a bit), your healthcare provider may recommend that you temporarily stop taking the medication.
General Information on Taking FerriproxSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Ferriprox include the following:
- Ferriprox comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth three times a day.
- You may take this medication with or without food. If it seems to bother your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Ferriprox dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.