Blood Home > Living With Thalassemia
If you have moderate or severe thalassemia, you need to take good care of your health. Some suggestions for living with thalassemia include:
- Follow your treatment plan and see your doctor regularly for checkups and treatment.
- If you have regular blood transfusions and iron chelation therapy, it is important to continue with treatment as recommended.
- If you have regular blood transfusions, you should avoid taking vitamins or other supplements containing iron.
- Maintain a healthy diet. Your doctor may also give you a folic acid (a B vitamin) supplement to take every day in order to help your body make new red blood cells.
- Get a flu shot every year and the pneumococcal vaccine to prevent infections.