An Introduction to Side Effects of Rivaroxaban
Just like any medicine, rivaroxaban
) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the medication will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible rivaroxaban side effects. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Serious Rivaroxaban Side Effects
Some side effects of rivaroxaban are potentially serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider right away. Most of these serious reactions are related to bleeding, an inherent risk with "blood-thinning" medications. Some of the warning signs of these problems include:
- Unusual headaches, dizziness, or weakness
- Unusual bruising (bruises that develop without known cause or grow in size)
- Blood in the urine
- Blood in the stool (usually seen as red or black stools)
- Bleeding gums
- Bleeding from cuts that takes a long time to stop
- Menstrual bleeding or vaginal bleeding that is heavier than normal
- Coughing up blood.