The typical dose of Trental for treating peripheral arterial disease is 400 mg taken three times daily at regular intervals. However, if you have kidney problems or experience side effects, your healthcare provider may reduce this dosage. You should take this medication with food, as it can help improve absorption of the medication into the bloodstream and decrease side effects like nausea and vomiting.
An Introduction to Dosing With TrentalThe dose of Trental® (pentoxifylline) your healthcare recommends will vary depending on a few different factors, such as:
- How you respond to Trental
- Your kidney function.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
What Is the Trental Dosage for Peripheral Arterial Disease?The standard Trental dosage for improving blood flow and reducing the viscosity (thickness) of the blood is 400 mg three times a day at regular intervals. Studies have shown that doses higher than 400 mg three times daily do not improve effectiveness, but do increase the risk of side effects.
If nausea, vomiting, dizziness, or headaches occur with Trental use, the dosage may be reduced to 400 mg twice daily. Please discuss any dosage reductions with your healthcare provider if you are experiencing these symptoms.
If you have kidney disease, your healthcare provider may recommend a lower dose.
General Information on Taking TrentalSome considerations for people taking Trental include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of an extended-release tablet. It is usually taken three times a day with meals.
- Trental should be taken by mouth with a full glass of water.
- Trental should be taken with food. Studies have shown increased levels of Trental in the body after it is taken with food. Also, taking this medicine with food may help decrease nausea and vomiting.
- Do not crush, chew, or break the tablets; make sure to swallow them whole.
- Try to take your doses about eight hours apart to keep an even level of Trental in your bloodstream.
- This medication may begin working in two to four weeks; however, it is recommended that you continue to take it for at least eight weeks.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop taking this medicine without consulting your healthcare provider.