Trental Warnings and Precautions
To determine whether Trental is suitable for you, make sure your healthcare provider is aware of any other medical conditions you have, such as kidney disease, low blood pressure, or possible bleeding problems. Other warnings and precautions with Trental include possible drug interactions and allergic reactions. Also, make sure to tell your healthcare provider if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Trental® (pentoxifylline) if you have:
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, or hepatitis
- Previous bleeding in the brain or retina, or other bleeding complications
- Low blood pressure (hypotension) or are taking blood pressure medications
- Any allergies, including allergies to pentoxifylline, caffeine, theophylline, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Trental and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Trental and Breastfeeding).
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.